March 15, 2012

Top Ten Ideas for a Mermaid Party

 With Aria's 6th birthday coming up next month I've already started planning some ideas out for how to throw a spectacular MERMAID BIRTHDAY PARTY.  Here are the top ten ideas from my Pinterest board.

1. Seashell Invitations

Source: sillyeaglebooks.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

 How fun are these?  Aria loves shells, and the invitation instantly becomes a keepsake when its not a piece of paper!

2. Balloon Decor

 
Source: karaspartyideas.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

Balloons and nets and some streamers hanging from the ceiling will really make the room feel as though we're underwater.

3.  Rock Candy

 
Source: maddycakesmuse.blogspot.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

There's all sorts of recipes out there about how to make your own rock candy.  I think it'll be a fun science experiment to do with my kids several weeks before the party, and doesn't it look like coral?

4.  "Sushi" Sandwiches

 
Source: karaspartyideas.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

I love sushi, but I don't think that I could get the girls to eat it!  This is a super fun alternative, and with all the peanut allergies out there, I think its wise to steer away from the classic PB&J.

5. Orange Pepper Octo-dip

 
Source: familyfun.go.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

How ridiculously cute is this?  And easy!  I love food that adds to the theme!

6.  Mermaid Craft

 
Source: familyfun.go.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

This is a great simple craft that I know any 5 or 6 year old girl would love to make.  I think I'll attach the hair ahead of time, but let the girls decorate their mermaids however they'd like to.

7.  Mermaid Tail Towels

 
Source: thehobbymommy.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

So, on Amazon these towels are around $60!  I'm thinking I can make them for WAY less, and I am NOT a seamstress.  I like to think of myself as an interpretive sewer... no patterns, just making it up as I go along!  My thought is that these will be the party favours that the girls can take home and then use all summer!

8.  Ombre Ocean Cake

 
Source: blog.catchmyparty.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

In my head, this is what Aria's cake will look like, but I know there's no way I can pull it off.  I might try to go for the ombre look on the inside though, with the different layers and try for something simpler to decorate...

9.  Wafer Chocolate for Easy Cake Decorating

 
Source: marthastewartweddings.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

Something simpler like this.  Still beautiful, but layering chocolate wafers I can definitely do.  And the Bulk Barn in town has every shade of wafer under the sun!

10.  Octopus Cake or Marshmallow Pops

 
Source: blog.amyatlas.com via Carmen Kinniburgh on Pinterest

In October I made my first attempt at cake pops for Roscoe's Robot Party.  My husband had much more finesse when it came to dipping them in chocolate.  They were super yummy, and a LOT OF WORK!  Simple octopuses I might be able to handle though...

No comments:

Post a Comment